Saturday, August 20, 2011

Avery has Arrived

Avery affectionately know as T-Bone or T for short, went into foster with me a couple of days ago. He was trying to figure out what was going on when we were on our way home, but settled down nicely and enjoyed the ride, getting up only when we stopped.

When he arrived home with me, he as greeted by my pack of 3 greyhounds and a lab mix. I'm sure it was a little overwhelming at first. They're was a couple of small growls between he and my boy, Blaze. That's why muzzle are our friends when integrating a new dog into a pack (for long or short term). Once they meeted and greeted, though no more growls. He especially seems to like my female dogs and feels comfortable enough to lay near them.


He slept in a softsided crate in my bedroom the first night. He did a little whining. I gotten on to him about scratching at the crate. He settled down and slept pretty well the first night. When he woke up and started crying, I took him out to potty. Then back to bed and he slept the rest of the night. Since the first night he's been sleeping on a dog bed in the bedroom. He gets a little restless in the morning when he wants to get up. But the rule at my house is that no one gets up until I get up (except to potty). He's starting to understand that though.

He's been trying to learn the ropes of living in a house. I always restrict access in the house when I bring a new foster in. The first evening, he stayed in the living room/kitchen area while everyone chilled out with him before bed. I kept him on a leash in the fenced backyard the first evening and 1st day. He did great and every since then has been off leash in the fenced backyard. He seems to like to explore and enjoys that little bit of freedom. He keeps a close eye on the other dogs though and when they come to me, so does he. He still only has access to a couple of rooms at a time (wherever I and my dogs are), but he has done well. He's very good about going outside to potty.

He learned the steps pretty easily. He had the deck steps to the backyard down day one, and by day 2, he had the carpeted steps upstairs to bed and dowstairs to the dog room down fairly well.

He's not gotten comfortable enough to play yet, but I know that will come. He likes to keep an eye on me and if awake follow me if I leave a room.

He is starting to take treats from my hand. He enjoys a greenie or dental treat with my dogs (under close supervision).
He really likes being part of the group. He likes to wander around the rooms he has access to sniffing and checking things out. It's fun to watch a hound who's never been in a house look at and sniff everything trying to take it all in and figure out what everything is.

He's shown mild interest in counters and trash. Nothing that preventatives and verbal corrections haven't taken care of. He's been pretty good with my 16 year old cat. The only time he's been interested in PJ is if PJ runs. A strong verbal correction gets the message across.

Next week I'll take him out and about to a couple of local stores for more socialization.

Overall, he's just a very good boy.

0 comments: